It turns out public school students in New York City have been served their lunches with a side order of mold.
More than 1.1 million public school students in all the five boroughs have been served egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches and pizza that had large black patches of mold on them for the past few months. What’s worse is that large bones and metal fragments were found in their chicken nuggets, removed from the menu, then placed back on again.
Since contaminated food was found all over the city, this isn’t a case of just one isolated incident. Problem is, the school districts aren’t giving an explanation as to why this food was even given to the students, and even though the Department of Education has pulled the toxic food from their menus, both parents and doctors are getting furious.
“This is horrific,” expressed Dr. Robert Glatter, to CBS New York. “This is a significantly dangerous situation… When you ingest meat that is embedded with nails, the objects can perforate your esophagus; your intestine.”
Glatter goes on to express to parents that if their children were experiencing unexplained vomiting and diarrhea, this could be why. Even though there were no recorded injuries such as food poisoning due to the contaminated food, minor cases of intestinal discomfort were not put on file.
Mold isn’t just something to wipe away and forget about. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 100% of all types of mold have the potential to cause a whole array of health effects and even death in some rare cases.
In addition, parents are upset because this tainted food actually cost more than the replacement chicken received by Perdue Farms. According to CBS, each time the city served the chicken fingers to their students, it cost $154,000 more than the replacement meals given by Perdue. Considering chicken nuggets were on the menu once a week, this mistake cost taxpayers millions.
As of the time of publication, the Department of Education has given no concrete answer as to why parents were not made aware of tainted food before the story was picked up by media outlets.