Empire Baptist Missionary Convention of New York

Address: 063 W. 125th Street



History of the Convention

The Empire Baptist Missionary Convention was initially founded as “The Baptist Church Union” (August, 1895) by a group of Black ministers, who convened at St. Phillips Baptist Church (Staten Island) because of their commitment to unite as an organization to fulfill the Great Commission of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:19-20).  The first official session of the Baptist Church Union was held at Bethany Baptist Church (Brooklyn, New York) on September 16, 1895 where Dr. S.A. Thomas was elected the first president of the organization.  At its seco nd official session held at the Concord Baptist Church (Brooklyn, New York) in October 1897, the name of the organization was changed to the Colored Baptist Missionary Convention of New York relative to incorporation proceedings expedited in Kings County (Brooklyn), New York on September 23, 1897.